Posts Tagged ‘Welterweight’
Bellator 167 ‘Curran vs Teixeira’ takes place Dec. 3, 2016 at WinStar World Casino in Thackerville, Okla. The card headlined by a featherweight clash between Pat Curran and John Teixeira has just gained two new fights.
Bellator 167 “Curran vs. Teixeira” goes down at WinStar World Casino on Dec. 3, 2016 in Thackerville, Okla. The featured fight that night is a top featherweight showdown between former champion Pat Curran and rising star John Teixeira.
Two new fights have just been announced to spice up the main card on Spike TV. Welterweights Chidi Njokuani (15-4, 1 NC) and Andre Fialho (7-0) will face off, along with flyweights Ilima-Lei MacFarlane (4-0) and Emily Ducote (4-1).
Njokuani has been undefeated over seven fights dating back to 2013, most recently scoring a knockout win at Bellator 156. To keep that streak alive though he’ll have to defeat the unblemished Fialho, who has won both of his Bellator bouts with a first round knockout.
Meanwhile, the women will both have something to prove in the wide open flyweight division which has yet to crown a champion. MacFarlane certainly has the hype behind her with a knockout and two submissions in four fights including her rear naked choke at Bellator 157.
Ducote has no shame in her game though with her only loss coming in her pro debut, reeling off four-straight victories with two-straight submissions since then. She will arguably be the toughest test MacFarlane has had to date.
The updated Bellator 167 card for Thackerville is below.
Bellator 167 “Curran vs. Teixeira” Card (Spike TV):
Featherweight: Pat Curran (22-7) vs. John Teixeira (19-1-2)
Flyweight: Ilima MacFarlane (4-0) vs. Emily Ducote (4-1)
Welterweight: Chidi Njokuani (15-4, 1 NC) vs. Andre Fialho (7-0)
To check out the latest Bellator MMA-related news and notes be sure to hit up our comprehensive news archive right here.
View full post on MMAmania.com – All Posts
Dutch phenom Nieky Holzken continues to dominate kickboxing’s welterweight division and he did so again on Friday night at the 1stBank Center in Broomfield, Col. View full post on Recent News on Sherdog.com
BROOMFIELD, Colo.–Nieky Holzken (90-11) has done it again. The GLORY Welterweight champion defended his title for the third consecutive time on Friday (October 21, 2016), setting a promotional record with his 12th victory inside the GLORY ring, where he remains undefeated.
Holzken, 32, defeated Murthel Groenhart (60-22-3) by unanimous decision inside 1STBANK Center–his third victory over the No.2-ranked contender in three tries and 90th win of his 14-year career.
“Murthel is a top fighter,” Holzken told Todd Grisham after the fight. “I have so much respect for him because he’s trash talking, backing it up. Now after the three fights we are friends. I respect him, he is a very good fighter.”
The champion looked to be in control after the opening three rounds, hitting several nasty inside low kicks as well as a beautifully-timed jumping knee. But Groenhart came on in the last two rounds, and made the final six minutes interesting, but Holzken proved over the 15-minute title fight why he is the champion.
“He hit me a couple of times with that fucking knee,” Holzken said. Sorry for cursing. He’s a very good fighter. The first three rounds I thought it was my way with the points. I was hitting low kicks, inside kicks, outside kicks and keeping him at distance. You can see he is a warrior, the last two rounds he came back. So he is a very difficult fighter to fight and I respect him.”
The champion explained during a post-fight media scrum that he hurt his toe in the third round after throwing a kick and it slowed him down quite a bit.
“The third round I kicked his knee and I, how do you say? Not broke my toe, but bruised it. So, I couldn’t stand anymore very good. And in the fourth I was a little bit slowed down. In the fifth he hit me with a knee to the body and I had to take a step back. But I did my job and I think I won three, maybe four rounds of the fight. All the talk is done. Three times in a row I am the champion again. There can only be one.”
As for who may be next, Holzken suggested Cedric Doumbe, who has been talking trash about the champion.
“Cedric Doumbe has a big mouth and if he wants he can step up next and I’ll beat his ass,” said Holzken, who also mentioned he’d like to fight in Oberhausen, Germany next on the GLORY 36 or GLORY Collision card.
The co-main event ended in anti-climactic fashion after Dustin Jacoby (9-8) suffered an injury to his left arm and was unable to continue after the first round ended. Simon Marcus (45-3-2) won the bout via technical knockout. The official time of the stoppage came at 0:01 of round two.
Jacoby blocked one of Marcus’ kicks with his left arm midway through the opening round, which ended up breaking his arm. All three judges had scored the first round for Jacoby. Marcus improves to 45-3-2 with the victory. Jacoby falls to 9-8 in defeat.
Israel Adesanya (32-2) won the GLORY Middleweight “Contender” tournament by defeating Robert Thomas (8-5) by unanimous decision in the semi-finals and then Yousri Belgaroui (18-2) by split decision in the final.
Belgaroui proved to be a tough opponent, but Adesanya landed some timely strikes and did just enough to convince the Colorado judges he was the rightful winner.
The judges scored the bout 30-27, 28-29, 29-28 in favor of Adesanya.
In the semi-finals, Adesanya was just too much for Robert Thomas in the tournament semi-finals. “The Style Bender” easily won the first round and dropped the Canadian toward the end of the second round with a high kick en route to a unanimous decision victory.
All three judges scored the bout (30-25, 29-26, 30-25).
Belgaroui defeated Ariel Machado (43-8) by unanimous decision in the opening round to advance to the tournament final.
View full post on MMAmania.com – All Posts
The UFC 207 card on December 30 in Las Vegas got a double jolt of welterweight action on Tuesday, as the promotion announced that former world champion Johny Hendricks will return to face Neil Magny, and Matt “The Immortal” Brown will take on former Strikeforce titleholder Tarec Saffiedine at T-Mobile Arena.UFC 207, which is headlined by the UFC women’s bantamweight championship bout between Amanda Nunes and Ronda Rousey, airs live on Pay-Per-View from T-Mobile arena. Looking to get back in the race to regain his 170-pound title, the No. 7-ranked Hendricks is eager to return to the form that t … Read the Full Article Here View full post on UFC News
“Killa B” is back! After last competing inside the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Octagon this past January, welterweight finisher Ben Saunders has made his way back onto the promotional roster. Saunders, 33, revealed he had re-signed with UFC earlier this week via Twitter (shown below), which was later confirmed by MMA Fighting.
We back on that @ufc roster!
Let tell games begin!!! :D#MMA #UFC #MixedMartialArts #Fighting #Boxing #Wrestling #JiuJitsu #Kickboxing pic.twitter.com/BNOCAX19io
— Ben Saunders (@bensaundersMMA) September 20, 2016
Luckily for both parties involved, Saunders did not exit UFC nine months ago with any malice in his heart. After getting finished by promotional veteran Patrick Cote via second-round TKO at UFC Fight Night 81, Saunders’ contract expired and he simply walked away. Before the loss to Cote, “Killa B” had racked off three-straight victories in the ultra-deep welterweight division, including a Performance of the Night submission (omoplata) and a first-round TKO finish of veteran Joe Riggs.
Earlier this month, Saunders made quick work of former UFC fighter Jacob Volkman by way of first-round submission at Fight Night at the Island. That was all UFC needed to see to snag Saunders back off the open market and quickly re-insert him into the competitive 170-pound class. His next fight has yet to be scheduled.
According to MMA Fighting, Saunders is subject to be tested by United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) for four months before his return considering he left the testing pool earlier this year.
View full post on MMAmania.com – All Posts
Although UFC welterweight Matt Brown estimates he’s probably suffered “hundreds” of concussions in his fighting career, he got his first official diagnosis in 2015.
The treatment he subsequently received was an experience he’d rather forget.
“I had to sit in my room for 10 days with no lights, no loud noises, no TV, no reading,” Brown told MMAjunkie Radio. “Like, literally stare at the wall and do nothing for 10 days, like jail.”
It’s for that reason that Brown isn’t in a rush to return to the octagon two months after suffering his first TKO loss in a fight against Jake Ellenberger at UFC 201.
Ellenberger (31-11 MMA, 9-8 UFC) caught Brown (20-15 MMA, 13-9 UFC) early with a punch and knocked him off his feet, though Brown was able to recover and give chase for a counterattack. When a body kick caught him flush, however, he quickly faded as Ellenberger landed more punches.
Brown maintains he wasn’t knocked out, but he’s nonetheless concerned about long-term damage. That’s a serious shift for a fighter known as one of the more gritty competitors in the cage.
“It’s the first time from a head shot that I’ve been dropped in my entire life, and I’ve sparred with heavyweights and big guys,” said Brown. “I hope that I can speak near-full sentences when I’m done fighting.”
Brown admits he couldn’t do so after that first concussion. He said he would get up from bed to use the restroom and suddenly fall, not knowing why.
“Now that I’ve been through that, I want to be extra careful,” he said.
This week, Brown started thinking about a return to the octagon after taking the first vacation of his adult life at a Legoland theme park. He had his first training session earlier this week and would like to fight by the end of the year or early next year.
“I would love New York (at UFC 205), but I’m really fat right now,” Brown said.
The loss left Brown with a 1-4 record in his past five outings, which makes his road to a title shot longer than ever. Although his recent fights haven’t gone his way, he said he hasn’t lost sight of his motivation and is still driven to be the best welterweight he can be.
That doesn’t necessarily mean the external motivation of winning the UFC belt, he said. Instead, he likes to think in terms of internal motivation, of the fulfillment of performing at his best every time he steps into the octagon.
“There’s still a lot of hunger in my heart,” Brown said. “I’m still pressing toward the ultimate goal. I still, to this day, remember my motivation. I still remember what it’s like to go to a UFC and have that dream in my head.”
There are signs along the way that keep him focused on that dream. Attending this past Saturday’s UFC 203, he was approached by the sister of welterweight prospect Mickey Gall, who dominated former pro-wrestling champ Phil “CM Punk” Brooks.
“She had a tear in her eye, saying how I inspired her,” Brown said. “That put a tear in my eye, too.”
So Brown will pick himself back up and begin the process of sharpening his skills. This time, though, he’ll try to avoid unnecessary damage.
View full post on News | MMAjunkie
HAMBURG, Germany – A well-placed kick, which landed directly on a surgical scar after a near-fatal infection, brought a temporary halt to UFC welterweight Peter Sobotta’s momentum.
The UFC 193 loss this past November was painful to Sobotta (16-5-1 MMA, 3-4 UFC), physically and mentally. So when he approached his bout with Nicolas Dalby (14-2-1 MMA, 1-2-1 UFC) at Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 93, he bore the weight of both.
A dominant performance on the mat turned things around, thankfully, for the Polish native and German resident, who curiously represents the Jamaican flag when he walks to the octagon.
Now, Sobotta has his sights set on bigger things. Not a title shot, but his inclusion on the list of the sport’s best welterweights.
“My ultimate goal is to get into the top-10 in the world,” he told MMAjunkie backstage at the Barclaycard Arena in Hamburg, Germany, which hosted the UFC Fight Pass-streamed event. “Of course, like everybody, I would like to become champion. I’m now 29 years old. I’ve been fighting since I was 16. So I think I’m ready for a great opponent.”
If he gets into the rankings, Sobotta can afford to call for opponents. But until then, he’s going to have to wait. Saturday’s fight improved his current run to 3-1 after a 0-3 slide in his first stint as a UFC fighter.
Back then, no one would say Sobotta had top-10 potential. But a few more could see it now.
View full post on News | MMAjunkie